Friday 20 December 2013

Feel good fudge (Hazelnut, cashew, peanut, almond - whatever you fancy!)


I used to love a few chunks of Chocolate in the evening or a little pick me up if I was rushing around in the day.

This treat feels naughty but is actually full of good things - nuts, honey and butter.  Also a few chunks is usually enough as it is so sweet so one batch will do us a family for a week.

I sometimes make mine with crunchy Hazelnut butter because I like the texture but if you prefer you can use smooth nut butters.  Most nut butters would work (peanut butter is lovely but our nutritionist is not mad on it so we try to keep it as an occasional treat).

I originally made this with 170 grams of honey and I have dropped that now to between 50-100g as you really don't need much because of the sweetness of the nuts and the coconut.

This fudge is ready for the fridge in less than five minutes. However as the mixture is not boiled at a high temperature the fudge is soft a room temperature so needs to be stored in a freezer.

I don't make my own nut butters as I can buy the Meridian jars from a local store at a good price. They are 100% organic nuts with no other added ingredients.


Ingredients

I small jar / appox 170 of Meridian nut butter such as almond or crunchy Hazelnut butter (or other if preferred).
100 grams of honey (you can reduce this for a less sweet version)
115 grams of butter or coconut oil
Optional: 1/2 tsp of vanilla  (I don't use this with Hazelnut.  I have used it with peanut and with cashew)


Recipe 
  • Line a shallow (preferably glass) dish with greaseproof paper (or grease pan well)
  • Melt the butter and honey in a pan and stir until well mixed
  • Take the pan of the heat and mix in the nut butter.
  • Pour into the dish, cover with clingfilm and cool in the fridge
  • Move the cooled pan into the freezer to harden
  • When hard break the fudge into pieces, resist the urge to eat the lot and put back into the freezer 





No comments:

Post a Comment