If you are in a hurry you can make this in 3 hours, or if you really want to get the maximum out of it you could slow cook it for 8/10 hours.
This can be made in advance and warmed up or made in bulk and frozen.
It goes well with butternut squash chips, cauliflower mash, roasted celeriac or celeriac gratin.
Approx 800grams / 2 lb oxtail (our butcher sells it by the tray and I use one tray)
2 medium onions
2 garlic gloves
2 medium carrots
2 celery stalks
1/2 tsp of dried thyme
2 bay leaves
300 ml red wine (or add more stock)
500ml beefstock (homemade if GAPS)
2 tbsp of tomato puree
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 2 (or Slow Cook setting if cooking for longer)
- Brown the oxtail in beef dripping in a casserole dish (start with 2 tbsp dripping and add more if meat begins to stick)
- This will take 5-10 minutes - remove and set aside when browned all over
- Put the garlic, onion, celery and carrots in the casserole dish, add more dripping if necessary, and cook on a low heat for 5-10 minutes until slightly softened
- Return the meat to the pan, add in the stock, wine. tomato puree, bay leaves and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cover the casserole and bring to a simmer then place in the oven.
- Cook for 3 hours at GM 2 or 8-10 hours on a Slow Cook setting