Saturday 21 December 2013

The easiest tomato Soup (could be Heinz!)

My kids loved Heinz tomato soup.  I still don't think they have realised that what I am giving them is not tomato soup!

People on a healing diet are often advised to have soup or stock at least once a day.  My children are not going to have a cup of stock with their dinner, however much bribery is involved.  However they will have a cup of this soup.  Once you are in the routine of having stock in the fridge this is an easy lunch or a good gap filler after school.

You can use any home-made stock.  We started with chicken as that gives the cleanest taste.  Now the kids are more accustomed we use beef stock and lamb stock for a deeper flavour.  Initially I used to add a spoonful of honey and a splash of cider vinegar to truly get that 'Heinz' taste.  Now we just have it plain.

My daughter likes it plain.  My son likes grated parmesan on the top.  This goes well with Lois Lang bread, plain crackers or chicken wings.  You could also toast almond or cashew bread and make croutons (but I am never that organised!)


Ingredients

An equal measure of any home-made stock and passata (around 750ml  of each will serve 4)
Honey to taste
Cider vinegar to taste
Salt and pepper


Instructions

  • Pour the stock and passata into a pan.  Add honey and vinegar if required 
  • Bring to the boil then simmer for at least 20 minutes - the longer you simmer the thicker soup you will have. 
  • Season in the pan or at the table


No comments:

Post a Comment